Memphis, TN – Memphis firefighters say a house explosion that happened in Midtown Memphis was caused by a natural gashttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2.gif leak.
Firefighters were called to 1279 Harbert Avenue around 2:20 p.m., Wednesday, August 19, 2009.
Fire officials say a 45-year-old woman who was in the duplex at the time of the explosion was taken to the hospital in critical condition with second and third degree burns to her face and arms.
Witnesses tell fire investigators the explosion appeared to have happened on the second floor just before the home collapsed.
Fire officials say a leaking gas line caused the home to explode. According to investigators, the line was disconnected from a stove and natural gas was leaking into the house.