Edmond, OK – A home at 8600 E. Waterloo Road, at the intersection of Waterloo Road and Douglas, exploded about 4:30 Thursday morning, said Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Mark Myers.

Myers said neighbors reported the explosion and firefighters from Edmond and other local areas responded to the call to find the house on fire. Water was trucked in to the scene to extinguish the blaze.

All four external walls were leveled and the roof collapsed, making the home a total loss, Myers said.

A pickup was parked in front of the house and for several hours emergency responders did not know if there were victims inside the structure, Myers said. However, a friend of the man who owns the home saw the reports on television and called the owner, who was staying on campus at the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond while attending a conference.

Myers did not know the owners’ name, but said the man came to the scene early Thursday morning. No one else was in the home at the time of the explosion.

“What looked like a bad situation — and was a bad situation — could have been a lot worse,” Myers said. “Fortunately there were no injuries.”

The incident remains under investigation by the state fire marshal’s office. Myers said the house operated on propane fuel, and that factor was being “seriously considered” as a cause of the blast.