Columbus, OH – A man was critically injured when an explosion occurred inside his home Monday morning.

The explosion occurred inside Nong Nguyen’s home in the 1100 block of Weber Road on the city’s north side shortly after 5 a.m.

The explosion shook homes, startled neighbors and blew apart the back of Nguyen’s home.

Doors were blown from their hinges. Some windows became dislodged from their frames. An air conditioning compressor was thrown from its mount. Debris hit neighboring homes.

“We had two portable propane tanks in the back room that they were using to heat the back room, which is (Nguyen’s) bedroom,” said Columbus fire Battalion Chief Michael Fowler.

Nguyen, 59, ran from the home and toward a fire station, located less than one block away. He collapsed and was later found on the ground outside, Anderson reported.

“They were first concerned that they might be pulling up to a person that was assaulted until he told us that the back of his house exploded,” said Columbus fire Battalion Chief Doug Smith.”

Crews took Nyugen to The Ohio State University Medical Center with second- and third-degree burns.

Nyugen’s wife and 22-year-old son were not hurt, Anderson reported.

Investigators said the fire did not appear suspicious and damage was estimated at $40,000.