Crossville, AL – A woman whose house exploded today was in serious condition this afternoon at a Birmingham hospital.

Betty R. Holbrooks was injured when her home at 14954 Alabama 68 exploded. She reportedly lit a candle, which caused an explosion due to an apparent problem with her natural gas service.

“She got up at 5 o’clock and there wasn’t no power,” said Jackie Roden. Holbrooks is Roden’s wife’s aunt.

“She went toward the back door and lit a candle, and that’s when it blew up,” Roden said.

A man who said he helped get Holbrooks out of the home told The Reporter there were actually two explosions. The first one shook his car as he drove by on Alabama 68, he said.

Holbrooks was transported to UAB Hospital.

Officials of DeKalb-Cherokee Counties Gas District referred questions to a company official who would be in his office Monday.