Pontiac, MI – Oakland Press – A gas explosion caused by a disconnected stove demolished one home and damaged two others Thursday morning in the 700 block of Parkwood Street in Pontiac, injuring one man.

The only things left standing after the house exploded at about 9:15 a.m. were the hot water heater and a chair blown from the kitchen to the sidewalk.The stove apparently had been disconnected, but the gas was left on, fire officials said.

The stove apparently had been disconnected, but the gas was left on, fire officials said.

“We’re looking for the address numbers right now,” Capt. Tim Campbell of the Pontiac Fire Department said at the scene of the fire. “My guess is they’re somewhere in the street. This was a pretty big explosion.”

The roof of the residence next to the home that exploded was blown off and landed in a tree at least 20 feet high.

One adult male suffered minor injuries and was treated on the scene by ambulance, then taken to POH Medical Center.

He escaped the blaze with minor burns on his arms, back and face, said Rhonda Theis, 51, who identified herself as the victim’s mother.

Theis said her son, 30-year-old Richard Geans, was in the house where the blaze started, but police and fire officials said they would not confirm the victim’s identity.

Clifford Glover, a Parkwood resident, said he witnessed the explosion and helped save a child from one of the other homes.

Three people escaped from one house and two from another.

Neighbors said the fire department was prompt in its response, arriving within three minutes of the 9-1-1 call.

.