Masonville, NY – Three people were injured after an explosion caused by a propane hot water heater in Delaware County.

A release from Delaware County Emergency Services says fire units responded to a 911 call at the home of Kela Charles, 53, on State Highway 206 in Masonville around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Fire officials say the home was completely destroyed by an apparent explosion and was heavily involved with fire.

Many local fire departments and emergency services responded to the scene.

Officials say Kerry Vaccaro, 29, was was outside of the house at the time of the explosion was taken to Wilson Hospital in Johnson City.

They say Shayne Charles, 31, who was in the basement at the time of the explosion, was removed from the house by two passerbys, and was airlifted to the burn unit at Upstate Medical University Hospital in Syracuse.

Kela Charles, 53, refused medical treatment for her injuries and remained on scene to speak with investigators.

Officials say the fire was brought under control around 11:15 p.m.

An excavator was used to move heavy debris.

Investigators cleared the scene around 11 a.m. on Thursday, and determined the cause of the explosion to be accidental in nature.

They say the explosion happened after Shayne Charles attempted to ignite a propane hot water heater in the basement.

Officials have not provided updates on the victims.