McHenry, IL – A 54-year-old McHenry man left Loyola University Medical Center Wednesday, two days after he was injured in a natural gas explosion in his kitchen.

Thomas O’Brien, of 3908 W. Orleans St., was home alone working around his stove about 1:27 p.m. Monday, when an explosion started a fire that damaged the kitchen and adjacent living area. McHenry Township rescue workers transported him to Northern Illinois Medical Center in McHenry in critical condition, and Flight for Life took him to Loyola.

O’Brien was listed in critical condition Tuesday, but his condition was upgraded and he was released Wednesday, hospital spokeswoman Sandra Martinez said.