Michael Wight is still fighting for his life after surviving a gas explosion that nearly leveled his home.
Several fire districts rushed to 1532 W. Ponderosa Road and found Wight at the front of the house about 8:20 Thursday morning, his face swollen and body badly burned. Wight was flown to the University of South Alabama Burn Center in Mobile where he remains in critical condition.
First responders believe the explosion probably threw Wight from his home and near the front porch area of the road.
The homes walls were blown out and the roof had collapsed, but Wight was conscious enough to tell responders that he was cooking breakfast and lit a cigar. He couldnt remember anything after that.
Neighbors reported smelling natural gas before the explosion Thursday morning.
Lumber from the roof was launched 50 feet, fire crews estimated, and pieces of debris were hanging from tree tops. A neighbor found shards of glass on their front porch. Damage was estimated by fire crews at $85,000-$100,000
Although the State Fire Marshals Office has not released a cause of the explosion, they have concluded it was not drug related.
Fire crews remained on scene for about seven hours on Thursday. Ocean City-Wright, Fort Walton Beach and Midway fire control districts responded, along with Okaloosa County EMS.