Wright, Ala. – The state Fire Marshal’s Office has confirmed that a gas leak leveled a house on Ponderosa Road on Thursday and left a man severely burned.

Michael Wight remained in critical condition Tuesday at the University of South Alabama Burn Center in Mobile. He was flown there after local rescuers stabilized him after the explosion.

Rescuers believe Wight probably was thrown from his home in the explosion about 8:20 a.m.

Neighbors reported smelling natural gas Thursday morning before the blast. Wight was able to tell rescuers that he was cooking breakfast, lit a cigar and didn’t remember anything after that.