Berkley, MI – Owner Says Visitors Smelled Gas Leak

BERKLEY, Mich. — A home was blown off its foundation Monday night in Berkley.

Firefighters said an apparent buildup of natural gas caused the home located in the 3600 block of Elmwood Street to explode and catch fire. Homeowner Russell Johnson said visitors smelled gas several times in his home, but the gas company never found a leak.

“I didn’t ever smell it, but every time I brought someone to my house, a friend, they’d say, ‘You got a gas leak,'” Johnson said.

Johnson was reportedly not home at the time of the explosion. No injuries were reported.

The house was completely destroyed. Crews are expected to begin the cleanup process Tuesday