Evanston, IL- Eight people were transported to the hospital for evaluation Monday morning after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected inside a residential building in Evanston, officials said.
Residents in the building in the 1400 block of Pitner Avenue called emergency personnel after the CO detector’s alarm went off, according to Paul Polep, Evanston Fire Department division chief.
According to Polep, the level of carbon monoxide in the building was registered at over 200 parts per million. A CO detector, he said, will normally sound its alarm when levels reach 35 parts per million.
Gas company personnel and Evanston city inspectors were on the scene trying to determine the cause of the high CO levels, Polep said.