Hickory, NC – Firefighters responded to a U-Haul facility in Hickory after a 9-1-1 call came in regarding a private contractor at the site who had been affected by carbon monoxide. The business is located on Main Avenue S.E., next to the WHKY studios.

The worker was reportedly operating a gas powered saw inside the building when the incident occurred. The man’s condition was not life-threatening. He refused transport to the hospital.

Hickory Fire Dept. Battalion Chief Karl Heffelfinger said high levels of carbon monoxide were detected and the building was deemed unsafe. The business was evacuated as Firefighters pushed clean air into the building to the get the levels back to normal.