CA – A Glenn County sheriff’s deputy has returned to work after recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Sheriff Larry Jones said Deputy Brandy McDonald became ill while on patrol late Thursday night and was brought to Glenn Medical Center in Willows for diagnosis and treatment. She reported experiencing a headache and nausea.
Jones pulled McDonald’s patrol vehicle out of service, and ordered an inspection of several other identical cruisers, all Ford Crown Victoria Interceptor models.
Exhaust leaks were found in McDonald’s car and three others.
Jones said county fleet mechanics were able to fix the problem by replacing bolts and flanges, and all but one of the vehicles, which is still under manufacturer’s warranty, have been put back on the road.
No other deputies reported getting sick from the exhaust leaks.
On Monday, Orland police had their Crown Victoria Interceptors inspected and one was found to have an exhaust leak near the left rear manifold, just like the county cars.
“That’s five cars with a problem in just two departments,” said Jones, who believes the defect could be widespread.
On Friday, he asked the Department of Justice office in Sacramento to issue a nationwide informational warning bulletin concerning the exhaust leak.
He said the Willows office of the California Highway Patrol plans to have their vehicles inspected this week.
McDonald wasn’t admitted for her illness, but Jones said it took more than a day for the effects of the carbon monoxide poisoning to work its way out of her system.