Dayton, OH – Fire officials are advising homeowners not to use gas powered equipment in or near their homes after a generator caused two people to become ill early Wednesday morning.

Around 1:30 a.m., fire crews responded to a house on North Marion Street and found the residents were using a gas-powered generator to supply electricity to the home, according to Dayton fire Captain Matt McClain. Fumes from the generator got into the home and raised the carbon monoxide level, and two people in the home became ill.

Both were treated at the scene for minor injuries and were not transported to a hospital, he said.

The Red Cross was notified.

McClain said anytime gas powered equipment is used, it’s going to create carbon monoxide.

“We always advise residents not to use gas powered equipment in or around your house,” he said. “It will generate that carbon monoxide that will make you ill and ultimately can kill you if you’re exposed to enough of it.”

As it gets colder, he said firefighters find people will find ways to supplement heat inside their home, including using gas ovens.

“We encourage everyone to use proper and good heating equipment in their home during wintertime,” he said.

The residents did not have a carbon monoxide detector in the home. Luckily, he said, they felt ill and smelled an odor.