Harvey, LA – WDSU – Jefferson Parish officials say one man died and six other people were severely poisoned with carbon monoxide from running a generator inside a Harvey home.

The identities of the victims were not available. The survivors were taken to West Jefferson Medical Center.

Robert Wilson, assistant chief of the Marrero-Ragusa Volunteer Fire Department, said he saw four generators in the home.

Wilson said the dead man was in his 50s and, judging from the condition of the body, might have died as early as Friday. Because carbon monoxide poisoning impairs mental functions, Wilson said, the other occupants of the house might not have realized that the man was dead.

Parish officials said the incident was the latest of several deaths blamed on carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last week, a Terrebonne Parish teenager died and eight other people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after two Houma families ran generators inside their homes to power appliances until power was returned after Hurricane Katrina.

They were brought to Terrebonne General Medical Center.