FL – By Naples Daily News – Two people were discovered with carbon monoxide poisoning early Tuesday morning in Golden Gate, authorities say.

The man and woman had a generator set up inside their closed garage, according to Collier County paramedics. The two, whose names weren’t available from authorities, were nearly unconscious when paramedics arrived.

When the woman woke up to go to the bathroom around 4:40 a.m., she got dizzy, said Collier County Public Services Division spokeswoman Camden Smith. The man was then awakened and crawled to the phone to call 911 for help, Smith said. Both were making their way out of the house when rescue crews arrived.

Here are some tips from Collier Emergency Medical Services and Florida Power and Light when using generators:

— Do not operate the generator inside your house or garage. It must be in a well-ventilated area.

— Appliances should be plugged directly into a generator, using extension cords, if needed. Do not connect generators to home wiring. If you must hook a generator to your main electric panel, disconnect your house from the utility’s electrical system.

— When power is restored, disconnect your generator before turning on the power.