Philadelphia, PA- A malfunctioning heater at Victory Baptist Church in West Philadelphia sent five people to the hospital yesterday afternoon with carbon-monoxide poisoning, fire officials said.

About 1:15 p.m., firefighters and PGW workers responded to a call for several people with headaches at the church, on Wallace Street near 43rd. Three people were taken to Mercy Hospital and two to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, all with non-life-threatening injuries.

The levels of carbon monoxide at the church were more than double what is considered dangerous, an official said.