Des Plaines, IL – The quick thinking of an unidentified neighbor who Monday night pulled the wrist of a Des Plaines man inside his mobile home that was engulfed in fire likely saved the victim from more injury or worse.

The middle-aged man was transferred to Loyola Hospital’s burn center in Maywood after an explosion blew off the roof of his mobile home at 815 E. Oakton St. at about 5:15 p.m. He was burned over 40% of his upper body, said fire reports.

According to Deputy Fire Chief Ron Eilken, a preliminary investigation indicates the blast was caused by a natural gas leak.

“When firefighters arrived on the scene, the roof was standing on end,” said Eilken. He said it was knocked down by water from a fire hose. No other injuries were reported.

“This should serve as a reminder for people not to ignore the smell of natural gas,” added Eilken. “When there’s a smell of natural gas people should either call the gas company or the fire department.”