Portsmouth, NH – Eleven people were taken to the hospital yesterday after being sickened by a carbon-monoxide leak at a New Hampshire hotel.

The problem was traced to a leaking vent in the basement boiler room, said Scott Tranchemontagne, a spokesman for the Hilton Garden Inn in Portsmouth.

Two hotel workers were in a nearby laundry room and nine guests were in the pool area on the same level. All were taken to the hospital, and all but one, a woman, had been treated and released by afternoon, Tranchemontagne said.

Firefighters who went floor to floor with carbon-monoxide detectors found unacceptable levels throughout the hotel. They knocked on doors and told people to leave. Tranchemontagne said the hotel remained evacuated late yesterday afternoon as workers repaired the leaking vent.