Des Plaines, IL- Gas-powered vacuums were blamed in a carbon monoxide incident that hospitalized one local resident Wednesday afternoon.

Des Plaines firefighters responded to a condominium building at 700 Graceland Ave. at 11:57 a.m. First responders arrived at 12:01 p.m. They discovered the vacuums, used to clean the building’s parking garage, had leaked carbon monoxide, Fire Chief Alan Wax said.

Due to poor ventilation, fumes became trapped in the garage and spread through the building, Wax said.

The fire department proceeded to evacuate and ventilate the building for nearly an hour.

According to Wax, one occupant was evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning and transported to Lutheran General Hospital in stable condition.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can be difficult to detect without a proper device or before symptoms of nausea begin to show.