Chicago, IL – ABC7 Chicago -A gas leak forced residents near Midway Airport to evacuate. Firefighters began going door-to-door ordering people out of their homes. The gas leak affected West 64th Place between Central and Menard.
Some residents ran out with just the clothes they had on. Emergency crews also turned off gas to the buildings to prevent an explosion. The gas was apparently coming from a ruptured underground six inch gas line.
Peoples Energy workers spent several hours overnight repairing the broken gas line. Once the threat of an explosion had passed, the residents were allowed back into their homes. Gas service was restored around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday to some of the homes. However, there are still some homes still without service.