Chesterfield, VA – A Chesterfield man and his wife survive an explosion inside their home.

The blast happened inside their Eanes Road home in Christmas Eve.

Bud Queen says he did not realize there was a leak somewhere in the line to the gas logs in his fireplace. So when he flipped on the switch to his small vacuum cleaner, the whole place lit up.

Queen says the blast lifted the roof off the home and blew out two walls. It even left glass embedded in the wall. There are also gaps between the cabinets and the ceiling.

Queen suffered burns on his face and hands, but is okay.

The cause of the explosion is under investigation. But Queen says the gas was turned off and he did not smell anything.

Fire investigators say most gas has an odor to it, specifically natural gas, which smells like rotten eggs. They say if you smell it, get out of the house immediately and call 911.