KS City, MO – Authorities said a gas leak is what caused an explosion that ripped through through a home near 37th Street and Elmwood Avenue Sunday night, injuring a woman and her child.
The explosion was reported at about 10:20 p.m.
Robb Yagmin reported that the 27-year-old LaTosha Douglas was in the kitchen and her 2-year-old daughter, Shalena, was sleeping when the blast happened.
Neighbors helped pull Douglas and her daughter out of the house.
Family members told Yagmin that Douglas is in stable condition and her child is in grave condition. The family said the 2-year-old suffered burns over 90 percent of her body.
Yagmin reported the toddler was flown to a Cincinnati hospital to be treated for her burns.
Family members said Douglas smelled natural gas Sunday evening and planned to call the gas company Monday.