Pikeville, TN – By Ben Benton, TFP Online

A man who was injured in a gas explosion while trying to light a heater Saturday remains in critical condition, authorities said today.

Duane Smith’s home was destroyed in the blast, authorities said.

The Associated Press reported Tuesday that a 72-year-old Kingsport woman and her 19-year-old grandson died in another gas explosion. Investigators said there was a hole in the gas line between the supply tank and the heater.

Pikeville Natural Gas Manager Rickie Van Winkle said the first cold weather each fall means a lot of heating systems are being turned on for the first time in months.

“If you smell gas, get out of the house and call the gas company,” he said.