Siren, WI – Gas explosion rocks Siren cabin, one hurt

By Jeff Cagle, Sentinel Reporter

A Siren resident was hurt after a gas explosion inside a house off old Hwy. 35 Saturday.

According to Siren Fire Chief Tom Howe, Mike Roy was working on a furnace inside the home, changing it from natural gas to LP gas.

What he didn’t know, however, there was a gas leak inside the system. When Roy went to light the furnace, it caused a huge explosion, blowing out windows and doors.

Roy suffered first-degree burns to his face and loss of hair because of the explosion. He was treated and released at the scene by North Ambulance, Howe said. He was the only person inside at the time doing work on the furnace.

Besides broken doors and windows, the cabin’s foundation was damaged.

Furniture was inside of the cabin, owned by Dan Flodin, Siren. But there were no residents occupying it at the time.

Flodin said the cabin was brand new and built for resale. It was already on the market through Century 21.

But with interior and structural damage, no decision has been made whether the home will be rebuilt or leveled. And according to Flodin, it could be a while until they know anything.