IA – Firefighters Say Pipe Is To Blame

KCCI TV – A gas line leading to a propane tank at a Knoxville home resulted in an explosion Sunday, firefighters said.

The explosion happened at 938 Jewell Drive just outside of Knoxville.

Firefighters said a galvanized metal gas line rusted through and caused propane to leak into the home of Phil and Debra Holloway. A spark from a washing machine caused the explosion, which blew out part of a wall.

The Knoxville Fire Department said the homeowner limited the damage by shutting off the gas.

The department’s fire chief said homeowners should use copper pipe for propane hookups because it won’t rust like the galvanized pipe.