York County, Pa – Firefighters believe a natural gas leak caused an explosion that leveled at home Wednesday morning in York County.

The blast happened around 11:15 on South Queen Street in York Township.

The man who lived inside the home was not there when it happened but arrived later only to find a pile of rubble.

“They let me walk up there and it’s a big hole in the ground now. It’s just totally nothing left. I won’t be able to replace anything,” said Herbert Ramsay.

A section of South Queen Street is still shut down.

Traffic and neighbors inside surrounding homes have been evacuated because of the odor of gas in the air. They may not be allowed back in until midnight.

The Red Cross has opened a shelter at the Goodwill Fire Hall. That’s located at 2318 South Queen Street.

Residents should bring ID, medications and other necessities.