GA – A Dodge County man is listed in critical, but stable condition at the Augusta Burn Center after propane gas exploded at his home Tuesday night.

Dodge County Sheriff Lawton Douglas said propane was delivered to Mike Flanders’ home on rural Mitchell Dye Road sometime Tuesday morning and Flanders smelled gas throughout the day.

That night, he lit a cigarette in the laundry room and the leaking gas ignited, Douglas said.

Douglas said Flanders sustained second and third degree burns on his face and arms. Flanders’ mother was at home at the time of the explosion, but she was not hurt.

“It could have been a lot worse than it was,” Douglas said.