Durango, CO – Herald Staff Report

A resident of a double-wide trailer near Bondad Hill was transported to Mercy Medical Center shortly after 11 a.m. Saturday after the oven in his residence exploded, a fire department official said.

The oven’s electrical igniter touched off an explosion of gas, which had accumulated beneath the trailer at 4043 U.S. Highway 550, according to Dave Abercrombie, spokesman for Durango Fire & Rescue Authority.

A volunteer in the rescue authority’s “residential station” close by was on the scene immediately, Abercrombie said. He and a second volunteer, who lives nearby, aided the lone resident of the trailer. The man was transported to Mercy Medical Center. His identity was not available.

There was virtually no fire, Abercrombie said, but the trailer was destroyed. The rescue authority maintains a residence near Bondad where volunteers stay to respond to emergencies in the area.