White County, GA- A White County couple are lucky to be alive today following an explosion at their home Wednesday evening.

Ana Newberry, fire department spokeswoman said the unidentified couple at 190 Valhalla Drive in Peaceful Valley Subdivision had replaced a gas dryer with an electric dryer. The gas supply line to the dryer also supplied fuel to the water heater. The gas valve for the old dryer was left in place and was partially knocked open when the new dryer was put in place.

After smelling gas fumes one of the homeowners thought they had closed the valve, but instead opened it. A short time later the gas water heater came on and created the explosion that heavily damaged the house.

The explosion destroyed the new dryer, knocked pictures off the wall throughout the house. Newberry said the residents were not injured and the fire department checked the house out for any other possible danger.