Bainbridge, GA – A gas buildup in the attic caused an explosion at King West Apartments about 5:45 on Friday evening.

Dorthea Hines, 27, told us that she was getting ready to iron her clothes to go out when she heard a loud explosion.Insulation rained down on her and she ran from the apartment.

BPS Assistant Fire Chief Marty Brown stated that the gas build up blew out the entire eve at the front of the apartment and much of the ceiling inside the home.David Peacock from the City verified was on scene and verified there was not a significant gas leak.

It was suggested that explosions such as this are caused by a gas stove being left slightly on.The gas then builds up in the attic until something ignites it.