NY- NEW YORK (AP) _ A Brooklyn man was critically hurt when an apparent gas explosion knocked down the back wall of a two-story apartment building, authorities said.

The blast blew off the wall of 94 Harman St. in the Bushwick section at about 7:09 a.m. Tuesday. Authorities said six firefighters were hurt, none seriously.

The Fire Department said a gas leak on the first floor of the building apparently sparked the blaze when the resident, whose name was not released, turned on a stove.

He was taken to the Burn Center at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center in extremely critical condition with burns over much of his body.

Buildings Department inspectors issued five violations to the owner of the building, Rachel Landau.