St. George, UT – A gas explosion at the San Salvador Restaurant, 439 North Bluff St. in St. George at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday burned a woman, blew out the glass front door and caused some interior damage to the business.

“They were utilizing propane for their kitchen appliances that were no longer being used on a regular basis it appears that a valve was inadvertently left on while the occupant was attempting to ignite the appliances,” St. George Fire Marshal Kevin Taylor said.

The Fire Department found a valve left in the open position that did not have an appliance attached to it and it is believed that when the woman attempted to light the stove it caused the explosion and burned the woman on the face. It is not known how long the valve had been left open, he said prior to the explosion.

The woman was transported to Dixie Regional Medical Center in St. George by Gold Cross Ambulance and it is unknown what her condition is, Taylor said.

The San Salvador used to be a restaurant but now operates as a store and a money transfer service, Taylor said, although it is equipped with an older commercial stove and hood that is not in regular use and is connected to a propane tank that sits outside of the business.

Questar Gas responded to the scene as a precaution and it was determined that they did not provide service to the San Salvador or any of the buildings in the immediate area, Questar Gas Operations Supervisor Scott Houghton said.

The owner of Rix Tattoo shop, Rick Martinez, heard what sounded like a small plastic bag pop and didn’t think too much of it until he saw the fire trucks arrive at the business which is next door to him.