Tucson, AZ – DAVID L. TEIBEL
A Tucson man critically burned in an explosion and fire at his midtown home has died. Carl Sinclair, 49, of East Hedrick Drive, near East Fort Lowell Road and North Campbell Avenue, died of his injuries at 10:25 p.m. Tuesday at St. Mary’s Hospital.
Sinclair sustained first-, second- and third-degree burns over 50 percent of his body after a natural gas explosion and fire at his duplex home, said Battalion Chief Randy Ogden, a Tucson Fire Department spokesman.
No one was home in the other duplex apartment when the explosion occurred, and there were no other injuries, Ogden said.He said an exterior gas line leaked and gas built up in Sinclair’s apartment March 16. When Sinclair lit a cigarette in his bedroom about 1:20 a.m. that day, the gas exploded and caused a fire, Ogden said.