Plymouth,MN – Fire crews battled an apartment fire for several hours Monday night that authorities say started in a nearby garage.

According to the Plymouth Fire Department, a call went out about 7:15 p.m. to the Parkers Lake Apartments located off County Road 6. The fire started in a garage and was possibly sparked by a gas explosion.

Authorities said the fire was “gas-fed” by natural gas and quickly spread from the garage to the attic.

Plymouth Fire Chief Rick Kline said there are about 24 units in the apartment building and about 40 to 50 people are affected by the fire. He

said everyone has been accounted for and no injuries have been reported.

“Smoke was coming into my door and the hall fire alarm was going off. So I opened it up and it was white smoke everywhere and so I grabbed my dog and

ran downstairs,” said apartment resident Sara Milbreath.

“I just got home and my friends were calling me saying your apartment complex is on fire. And we rushed home as fast as we could and we saw this.

And I can’t believe it’s this bad,” said witness Mike Noonan.

The Red Cross said they helped 12 adults and four children find housing for the evening, with seven apartment units directly affected by the fire.

Fire crews for several neighboring communities were helping to put out the fire.

The investigation as to how the fire started is underway. Damage estimates to the apartments are unknown at this time, but Kline said the damage is