Galloway Township, NJ – A Galloway Township man turned on his garbage disposal on Monday evening and sparked a small explosion of natural gas that seeped into his home from an underground leak.

Daniel Crum of 285 Mattix Run was not injured and his home was not damaged, but his neighbors were evacuated as South Jersey Gas repaired the leak.

Crum reported the explosion from under his kitchen sink shortly after 5 p.m. Monday (Jan. 13). South Jersey Gas responded and located a leak under the roadway in front Crum’s home.Natural gas had leaked and saturated the ground and seeped through the wall/foundation, into a bathroom and under the kitchen sink — both at the front of the house. Activating the garbage disposal ignited fumes causing the small explosion.

Units 285 through 287 were evacuated due to high gas readings in the homes. Surrounding units were also checked, but gas levels were below a dangerous level, if present at all.

Galloway Police, Galloway Public works, Atlantic City Electric, Bayview 26-4 Fire Company, and Galloway EMS were present while South Jersey Gas made repairs. A portion of Mattix Run was temporarily closed as repairs were made.