Wascott, WI – Furnace inspected same day as fatal cabin explosion in northwoods
Authorities say a gas company had inspected the furnace of a northwestern Wisconsin cabin a few hours before it exploded , killing a Minnesota woman and severely injuring her two sons.
54-year-old Bridget Arneson of Chaska, Minnesota, died Thursday evening. Her sons, 16-year-old Ethan Cline and 15-year-old Colin Cline, remain in critical condition today at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.
Douglas County Sheriff Tom Dalbec said there may have been a mechanical problem with the cabin’s furnace that caused a buildup of propane and the blast, but the exact cause hasn’t been determined. A number of appliances in the cabin burned propane.
Arneson’s husband, Mark Cline, had been at the cabin with the two sons for most of the week and the propane company was out on Thursday after he complained about an apparent propane leak.