Harrisonburg, PA – A leaky furnace in a trailer in Valley View Trailer Park exploded on Nov. 9, igniting a flash fire that sent two repairmen to the hospital.

Lupe Zamora, the owner of the mobile home located off U.S. 11 northeast of Harrisonburg, hired Herman Gentry, 61, and Bob Smith, 62, to fix the furnace. According to Capt. John Huddle of the Rockingham County Fire Marshal’s Office, the furnace was leaking propane. Something ignited the gas while the men were working.

They both suffered serious burns. They were initially taken to Rockingham Memorial Hospital, then flown to the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville. Gentry was listed in serious condition and Smith was in good condition on Nov. 12.

The explosion destroyed the trailer, blowing out windows and lifting the walls from the foundation. Actual fire damage was minimal.