Somerset, NJ – Eleven local residents were taken to the hospital for treatment due to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, according to a press release.

Three adults, ages 37, 36 and 25, as well as three juveniles, ages 14, 11 and 5, were brought to an area hospital Friday afternoon all suffering from varying stages of illness due to CO poisoning, according to police.

Additionally, the family dog appeared to be suffering from exposure to CO. The family dog was taken by Franklin Township Animal Control to an emergency veterinary clinic where it was treated and released, according to police.

The Franklin Township Police Department received a call from a local area hospital requesting a welfare check of a residence on Churchill Avenue at 11:42 a.m. Friday Morning, according to police.

Police say the wellness check was prompted because a family of five that lived downstairs at the Churchhill Avenue residence went to the hospital in the morning after their CO alarm went off and they weren’t feeling well.

“They never contacted the police, fire company, PSE&G or the residents upstairs,” Lt. Phil Rizzo said in a news release. “The upstairs residence was not equipped with a CO alarm, so they had no knowledge that there was an issue.”

Representatives from PSE&G responded and determined that the CO that filled the home was coming from the boiler in the basement, police say.