Jersey City, NJ – Four Jersey City residents were transported to the Jersey City Medical Center and treated for exposure to carbon monoxide this afternoon, officials said.

The father, mother and children were taken from their residence at 215 Fairview Avenue at about 12:15 p.m. and rushed to the hospital by ambulance complaining of headaches and nausea, Jersey City Police spokesman Robert McHugh said this evening.

The preliminary cause of their symptoms has been attributed to a faulty boiler flue pipe, McHugh said, adding that city inspectors cited the building owner for numerous violations.

The family underwent testing and treatment at the Medical Center and were released about three hours later, JCMC spokesman Mark Rabson said.