McLean Township, OH – A camper fire at Lake Loramie State Park critically injured a Bradford couple and sent their infant grandson to a Dayton hospital on Friday, Aug. 15.
The fire started about 7:50 a.m., said George Sholtis, manager of the Shelby County park, whose campgrounds are along Ohio 362. Firefighters quickly put out the blaze, but not before it destroyed the 1960s-era hardtop camper.
Injured in the fire were Stephen Blocher, 51, and his wife, Karen Blocher, 53, both of Bradford; their son-in-law, Ryan Flora, 30, of Arcanum; and their infant grandson, Jordan Flora, 3 months old.
The Blochers were flown to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, where Karen Blocher was in critical condition late Friday afternoon, while Stephen Blocher was in serious condition. Ryan Flora was treated and released from Wilson Memorial Hospital in Sidney. Jordan was taken to Children’s Medical Center in Dayton, where he was in fair condition late Friday afternoon.
Investigators are focusing on liquid propane lines and plan to test their pressure to see if a malfunction caused the fire, said Shane Cartmill, spokesman for the state fire marshal, whose division is heading the investigation.
Several members of Karen Blocher’s family, the Heiseys, were gathered at the campground for an extended weekend, according to a cousin, John Flick.
Jordan’s mother, Cheryl Flora, was taking a shower elsewhere at the campgrounds when the fire broke out, Flick said. Only the Blochers and Jordan were inside the camper. Flick said Ryan Flora was building a campfire outside at the time of the fire.