Summit Township, MI – The Associated Press

SUMMIT TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Four family members were hospitalized Monday after breathing in carbon monoxide fumes overnight and starting to feel nauseous, fire authorities said.

Capt. Scott Thornton of the Summit Township Fire Department in Jackson County said the family had a generator running outside their home, but the exhaust vent was pointed at a window, spewing the dangerous fumes into the house.

One of the residents called 911 about 7 a.m. after suspecting that a 60-year-old man who lived there had a heart attack, Thornton said. The man had opened the door to let the dog out, then collapsed on the couch.

The other residents told fire crews they started feeling nauseous and woozy, Thornton said. The four were taken to St. Joseph’s Mercy Health System in Ann Arbor. Their conditions were unavailable Monday evening.

Thornton said the house contained carbon monoxide levels as high as 300 parts per million. Federal guidelines suggest levels not exceed 35 parts per million for eight hours, Thornton said.