Great Barrington, MA – Five residents of the Southern Berkshire County town of Great Barrington required hospital treatment after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday, reports The Berkshire Eagle.

The patients, all residents of 232 Stockbridge Rd., also home to yarn and gift shop Wonderful Things, were listed in stable condition at Fairview Hospital on Monday, according to the paper.

Town firefighters responded to the building after the hospital reported the first three patients arriving around 1 p.m.

They found high levels of carbon monoxide inside, which went undetected because the building’s detectors were non-functioning and carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless.

The building has been evacuated and shut down by the Board of Health pending the installation of new detectors and other repairs.

Great Barrington Fire Chief Charles Burger told The Eagle the carbon monoxide was getting into the building via a rotted furnace whose stove pipe was venting the toxin straight into the basement.