Stallings, NC –

Two firefighters were recovering from heat exhaustion Sunday, a day after a gas explosion sent a garage door flying some 80 feet and destroyed a Stallings home. Firefighters from four departments were called to the home on Colchester Lane in the Buckingham subdivision off Lawyers Road around 7:45 p.m. Saturday, said Union County Deputy Fire Marshal Jon Williams.The fire had begun when a pilot light on a water heater ignited a gas leak and caused an explosion in the garage, Williams said. It took firefighters about an hour and a half to control the blaze. It destroyed the house. The flames’ heat also melted siding on neighboring homes.