Calera, OK – Propane may have been the cause of a fire that burned down a mobile home Thursday at Sterret and Vaden roads, according to the Calera Volunteer Fire Department.

Firefighters were dispatched to the home west of Calera at 8:31 p.m. after a caller said that the house exploded.

Calera Assistant Fire Chief Brian Norton said the home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived and that they went into a defensive mode because it was too dangerous to send anyone inside.

Colbert and West Bryan County firefighters were called in to assist. The closet hydrant was two miles away and firefighters shuttled approximately 20,000 gallons of water, according to Norton.

All occupants of the home escaped but one was treated for smoke inhalation. Norton said the family had several fawns in a kennel. A fawn also suffered smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by EMS.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation and the names of the occupants were not available at press time this morning.

Firefighters put out the fire at 10 p.m. but continued hosing down hot spots. They cleared the scene at 11:50.

Norton said a person from a propane company will be asked to come to the scene.

“The family had a bunch of propane work done,” Norton said. “They said they heard a loud explosion and then there was a fire.”