Colorado Springs, CO – Fire investigators now say Friday’s home explosion in northeast Colorado Springs was caused by a natural gas line that was not secured properly.

The explosion happened just after noon on Nov. 8 at a home in the 4700 block of Chaparral Road. That’s near Powers Boulevard and Barnes Road. Nearly 50 firefighters worked to put out the two-alarm fire.

According to fire investigators, the valve at the end of the gas line was open and it started leaking gas into the utility room. As a result, several explosions happened when the leaking gas found an ignition source.

Two residents of the home were hurt. They were released from a local hospital.

The home was declared a total loss.

Firefighters remind people if natural gas is smelled, to leave their home and call 911.