Seat Pleasant, MD – SEAT PLEASANT, Md. — A home in Seat Pleasant, Md., was almost totally destroyed Thursday morning and fire investigators said a natural gas leak played a role.

Prince George’s County Fire and Emergency Medical Services spokesman Chauncey Bowers said the fire was reported just after 5:30 a.m., in the 6600 block of Drylog Street.

When firefighters arrived, Bowers said there was a working fire in the rear portion of the home and there was also extensive damage to the entire house.

Bowers said neighbors reported hearing an explosion.

Based on the damage and accounts from neighbors, fire investigators have determined that a natural gas leak played a role in the explosion and they are focusing their investigation in the area of the kitchen.

Bowers said officials from the Washington Gas Company are at the house assisting with the investigation.

Damage to the home has been estimated at $130,000.

nbc4.com