Overland Park, KS – The Kansas City Star, James Fitzpatrick – A fire badly damaged the Pizza Shoppe at 89th Street and Santa Fe Drive in Overland Park this afternoon.

City spokesman Sean Riley said the fire was reported at 1:08 p.m. He said 30 to 40 customers were in the restaurant before the fire and that employees smelled gas before the fire. All customers and employees got out safely.

Riley said fire officials were investigating the possibility of a natural gas explosion. A damage estimate was not immediately available.