Portland, OR – Portland Fire & Rescue responded to a trailer fire that injured a couple and their son about 8:30 tonight at 99th Street and Northeast Sandy Boulevard.

A gas explosion inside the travel trailer severely burned the couple, who were not identified, and caused lesser injuries to their 11-year-old son, said Lt. Allen Oswalt, a Portland Fire spokesman.

The entire family was taken to OHSU Hospital. The parents were in serious condition and the son was in good condition, Oswalt said. He did not know how the boy escaped worse injuries.

The woman had tried to light a burner of a propane stove. After a few unsuccessful attempts, she paused, then flicked her lighter again.

The gas that had accumulated in the trailer ignited in a flash. “It blew the seams of the trailer apart,” Oswalt said.

Neighbors called 9-1-1 when they heard the explosion.

Oswalt said it’s important for anyone using a propane stove that doesn’t ignite immediately to make sure the area is properly ventilated before trying to light it again.