Boston, MA – Boston.Com – A fire department dispatcher helped sniff out three people overcome by carbon monoxide with a little persistence and a few clicks of a computer mouse.
Boston Fire Department dispatcher John McKenna Jr. took a 911 call just before noon on Thursday about a building filling with the deadly fumes. The caller hung up, however, before giving a street address and didn’t answer when McKenna tried to phone him back.
Undaunted, McKenna traced the phone number to a cell phone tower on Albany Street. From there, he used a computer program to cross-reference the number and the address to find the business.
“He called back the fire companies and told them to go over to Harrison Avenue,” Fire spokesman David Pfeil told the Boston Herald. “In there they found three people overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning.”
All three people were treated carbon monoxide poisoning, but were all right.
A running forklift had pumped the building full of exhaust. The incident remains under investigation.
For his part, McKenna remained modest.
“Any one of us that was sitting there in that position would have done the same thing,” McKenna said of his fellow dispatchers. “It’s the training we received from the Boston Fire Department. The citizens have come to expect that.”